Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Thursday's Children 12/6/12

Agents Are People Too



As you may recall, last week I shared a bit about a phone call I had with an Agent-Person. 
Things didn't go exactly as I expected.
Having unintentionally misled her about my inspiration for TENDRIL gave me  this kind of feeling...

So, I emailed her and told her that I'd actually been inspired by my love of old cemeteries. 
Here's a photo of Hope Cemetery in the town next to mine. I walk here a lot.


Well, guess what? 
She adores old graveyards, lives near a fairly famous one, AND one of the things that initially appealed to her most about my book was the whole cemetery aspect. 
She even promised to take me to that well-known graveyard if I'm ever visiting. 
I would LOVE that. Here's a photo of it below.


Now because my week wouldn't be complete without an awkward moment, here's my second story. 
Agent-Person #2 had asked for a full a couple of weeks earlier. 
After Agent-Person #1 and I had our chat, I thought perhaps it was time to "nudge" a little.
It's always a good idea to have as many options as possible, just in case things don't go according to plan. My experience is certainly that they RARELY go according to plan.

So I dashed off an email saying that while I didn't have an offer, 
I definitely had an indication of strong interest... 
and when might TENDRIL reach the top of Agent-Person #2's To-Be-Read Pile? 

Then about an hour later, while I was doing this on Twitter... 


I saw that Agent-Person #2's child was having surgery.
Which led to this kind of feeling.


Until I discovered I'd gotten an auto-response. 
Her query email was turned off because she's closed to queries until next year.
 (That email was the one I'd used because it was the only one I could find). 
So then, I was like...



A couple of hours later she emailed me (because she had read my email after all). 
She asked how long she had. I emailed back to let her know-while at the same time apologizing for my crappy timing, and sending wishes for her child's speedy recovery. 
She wrote back and told me not to worry,
 if she hadn't wanted to look at email, she wouldn't have.

Remember that agents get inspired too, and having shared inspirations might even be what brings you and your eventual agent together. 
Oh, and remembert that they are real people with their own problems. 


And of course-remember to join the Thursday's Children Blog Hop! 

Here's the code for you blog 
<!-- start LinkyTools script -->
<script src="http://www.linkytools.com/basic_linky_include.aspx?id=175134" type="text/javascript"></script><!-- end LinkyTools script -->

And here's the Linky List...




20 comments:

  1. Nice post, Rhiann. Good luck with those agents, though I think your writing speaks for itself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tracey, thank you so much for the flattery and for stopping by. Hope you can join us one of these weeks :)

      Delete
  2. Haha...love your pictures of how you felt. It must be amazing to have more than one agent interested--that's some pretty awesome validation. My Thursdays child post will be up tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your post! And yes every request is a validation - that's the best way to regard them.

      Delete
  3. Haha...love your pictures of how you felt. It must be amazing to have more than one agent interested--that's some pretty awesome validation. My Thursdays child post will be up tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are awesome! I particularly love the cemetery ones! I'm wishing you the best of luck with the agents, but honestly, it sounds like you're well on your way! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows? But I certainly appreciate your positive thoughts.

      Delete
  5. Haha — thanks for sharing these stories. Definitely want to hear about how it all plays out.

    You make a good point, too — agents have lives and they aren't thinking about us or our emails all the time, lol. Neither should we. Just put your best work out there, and whatever happens happens. You've done your job!

    PS: love the photography — let's see more in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't worry, good, bad, or somewhere in between - you'll know how it all plays out...

      Delete
  6. Best facial expressions ever :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? The pug and the baby make me chuckle every time I visit them.

      Delete
  7. Oh, what a great post and how exciting for you to have more than one agent interested in you and your work. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-blazing-hot-keyboard-50000-word-novel.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us, Mia. Unless of course it all ends up in a "I liked it, but..." email. In which case, I'm happy to wait indefinitely ;)

      Delete
  8. Excellent points, m'dear. Sometimes it's good to remember that agents don't *really* live on Mount Olympus. They just vacation there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This keeps erasing my long & chatty praise. Very funny & entertaining N.O.W. entry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Hmm, I certainly did NOT tell my blog to keep posters from praising...naughty blog. Tx for trying :)

      Delete
  11. Today, whitening strips are available at almost every supermarket and drugstore; they are also very affordable. You simply need to place the strip on your teeth, then leave it there for a specified time period as it cleans and whitens your teeth. Even though whitening strips were trendy for a little bit, they are now losing their popularity because they don't provide good results. Satta King Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete