Friday, August 17, 2012

Inspirational Images & Documents for "Unquiet Souls"


George Jacobs House c. 1891
Unquiet Souls is a YA Paranormal novel based on the premise that restless spirits may attempt to satisfy their thwarted passions through the living.  (Seeking representation).

The story is set in present day Maine but has connections to the Salem Witch Trials of 1692.

I am descended from Mary Towne Estey.  She and her two sisters, Rebecca Nurse and Sarah Cloyce, were accused of witchcraft.  Mary and Rebecca were hanged.  During my research for this book I was most inspired by Margaret Jacobs, accused at age seventeen.

Trial of George Jacobs by Thompkins H. Matteson 1855

There are no known images of Margaret Jacobs or her grandfather, just as there are no known trial records.  Her grandfather wears a red cape (note his walking stick on the floor).  Margaret is in the tawny skirt, pointing - accusing him of witchcraft.  Her mother, known to be mentally disturbed, lunges at her from behind. Margaret's father, George Jr. is beside George Sr.  The young people in the front are having "fits".

 

Miniature believed to be of S. Parris

George Jacobs Senior's Marker
at Rebecca Nurse Homestead


 
Some of my sea glass collection



6 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated by anything and everything about the Salem Witch Trials, so I can't wait to read Unquiet Souls. Have you always known you were descended from one of the accused? What an interesting family history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've always known. When I was a child we visited the Rebecca Nurse house in what is now Danvers, Massachusetts, I've also been to Salem numerous times to see the Witch Museum, The House of Seven Gables, and so on. But I certainly learned much more about the trials, and my own ancestor (Mary Easty/Estey) while I was researching for the book. There are three sisters in the book (Marah, Rowena, Serena) who are connected to the three accused sisters Mary Easty, Rebecca Nurse, and Sarah Cloyce.

      Delete
  2. This is really interesting! Glad to have the background knowledge as I look at your MS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Gronk and Izzie's mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, totally obsessed with the Salem Witch Trials. This story sounds sooo interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like my kind of beta reader ;) But you win for best blog title in the history of blogging.

    ReplyDelete